monday morning confessional




While much of this past weekend was kind of a waste, I did manage to watch Donnie Darko on cable late saturday nite, which was the first time I had seen it since catching the new director's cut while I was in NYC last month. So today's selections are Darko-related:

MP3 INXS - "Never Tear Us Apart"
The original cut of the film begins with "The Killing Moon" by Echo & The Bunnymen, which seems appropriate enough given all the rabbit imagery in the movie (not to mention that the song rules). While the trailer for the director's cut features "The Killing Moon" prominently, in the new version it is moved toward the end of the movie (replacing "Under The Milky Way" by The Church) and this classic INXS song plays over the opening instead. It's debatable which song works better, though I prefer the use of this track, as it cues up to the visuals better IMO. Director Richard Kelly wanted to use it in the film's initial release, but the licensing proved too costly the first time around. This song originally appeared on INXS' big hit album Kick, and I recall its MOV music video (3.3mb) being played at nauseum on the MTV.

MP3 Gary Jules & Michael Andrews - "Mad World" (alternate version)
While supposedly not the director's first choice to play over the film's climactic montage, this Tears For Fears cover by the film's composer Michael Andrews (featuring Gary Jules), which appears on the Donnie Darko soundtrack, has become a hit in its own right (much like the film has done after the fact). Go over to the Gary Jules website & check out the "video" section, which features an extremely cool new video for the song directed by Michel Gondry. Somebody else out there pointed out this video a little while back, though I can't remember who at the moment.

BTW: Darko fans may want to check out the film's official site, though I found it to be weird, frustrating, & kinda annoying. The director's cut is great though, and it's worth seeing in the theater. Newmarket Films has a listing of when it may be coming to your town (click "playdates").

Now time for the confessional. I had the original, drumless version of "Mad World" playing on repeat for several hours on Sunday afternoon into the evening, so you can probably get a fairly accurate sense of where my head was at during that period of time. My father & I had another frustrating conversation about what I'm doing (or not, to be more precise) with my life, which threw me into my current state of "introspection". Explanation time: I've spent the last three & a half years riding the big ups & downs of depression, including the last two years back here in Mpls slumming it under my parents' roof. I initially left NYC way back when to come back home & get back on my feet, but things have not worked out all that smoothly & once again I have found myself in a rut. Honestly, besides keeping up this blog, I haven't done much of anything worthwhile in the past couple of months - and yes, that is both pathetic & depressing (even moreso; damn vicious circle). I like managing The Big Ticket, as I'm able to focus on all the stuff I actually like. I'm all about the new Interpol album or the upcoming Wes Anderson flick or whatever, things that are far more interesting than my achingly dull bullsh** life. I know, I know...unless you're Julian Casablancas or Lindsay Lohan, that's true for just about everybody. What can I say? I still bore myself into inactivity. Blah, blah, blah...I need to get over myself already & get a life of my own. Ugh.

I did manage to crawl out of my pity party & tune into some of HBO's Sunday nite line-up. After watching last nite's episode of Six Feet Under, I predict that they will take Nate's daughter away from him. It's gonna happen, I can feel it. Jeez, he just can't catch a break. Thus far, I agree with the TWOP reviewer regarding Entourage - it's really overrated. And yet I've seen every episode. However, Jeremy Piven is the show's big shining bright spot, and once again he delivered huge last nite. Give that man an Emmy!

Anyway, sorry to drop such whiny personal nonsense on you guys out there. I really do appreciate all the kind folks who bother to stop by & read through my semi-daily ramblings, & I'm glad some of you actually enjoy it. I usually don't want to waste people's time plodding on about my own neuroses, but I had to felt the need to make this half-assed "mea culpa" today given my general mood right now. When I see my site listed under "the cool kids" over at stereogum's blogroll, I feel like kind of a fraud, and I thought I should say as much for honesty's sake.

Again, thanks for your patience. And not to worry - we'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming shortly. Tomorrow: my LA preview.
| i'll order you a red cap & a speedo »
| volume, volume, turn up the volume »
| you won't find moments in a box »
| assorted nuggets for a saturday »
| john kerry took my shoe »
| he's got the fire and the fury »
| let's burn the hills of beverly »
| just a string of primary numbers »
| i'm her cadillac, she's my rolls royce »

Blogger mr gilbert @ 8/27/2004 01:42:00 PM:

JRDN wasn't saying such laudatory things when I was kicking his ass at EA's FIGHT NIGHT last weekend. Of course, if we had gotten into a real fight, it would have been a different story. I give him props for not using the old "my controller isn't working" excuse, which does happen sometimes people!    


» Post a Comment