a serious threat to democracy


Late last nite, I stumbled across an amazing speech by former Vice-President Al Gore over @ Alternet.org. The speech was given on June 24 for the American Constitution Society at Georgetown University, and it deals with how the Bush administration is exerting too much power through the executive branch, which is exactly what this nation's founders were trying to prevent when they set up the governmental checks & balances in the U.S. constitution. It is kinda long, but I think it's worth a full read through if you have the time. Click here to check out a transcript. Recommended.

Last nite I also went with some peeps to see Fahrenheit 9/11 for a second time. The 7:20pm showing we went to actually spilled into a second theater, and there was an unusually (in my estimation) long line before the movie let in. I even ran into my parents, who had a much better spot in line than we did. While I don't think F911 is a film that requires more than one viewing, most of the issues I had with the film were cleared up upon a second go-around. I was able to see the structure of Moore's arguments more clearly & was able to better make sense of the points he brought up during the movie's facts-and-figures heavy first hour. Personally, I'm glad I saw it again, although Rachel said she couldn't eat afterwards.

Lastly, & thankfully, the New York Times has now reported on the Hitler-themed web video on George W. Bush's official campaign website, which I stumbled across late last week thanks to Air America's Randi Rhodes. I think I can rest a little bit easier (barely) knowing that such craziness didn't go completely overlooked. Notice that the Bush spokeswoman defends the ad.
| bush compares democrats to nazis »
| i got the moon, i got the cheese »
| i'll take the rapists for $400 »
| big pimpin, smokin' weed »
| drawing you into the club »
| too drunk to drink more? »
| and a sweet sound it made »
| stop shopping, stop buying things »
| yahoo! responds to the gmail threat »

Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/28/2004 08:50:00 AM:

Gilbert,
Check this out: http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/25/maui.wrapup/index.html
CNN article on "Garden State."    


Blogger Chuck Olsen @ 6/28/2004 10:47:00 AM:

I interviewed some right-wing MN bloggers. Here's their take on F 9/11:

http://blogumentary.typepad.com/chuck/2004/06/power_line_on_f.html    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 6/29/2004 12:19:00 PM:

CORRECTION: the video on GWB's site actually uses footage from the two "Bush in 30 Seconds" ads entered in MoveOn.org's contest, so I suppose the intention might be to include those Hitler ads in w/the "pessimistic" tone of the left. Still, it took me a while to figure that out, and the impression it leaves still groups the democrats (& Moore) in with the nazis.    


Anonymous Extenze Testimonials @ 5/19/2012 05:46:00 AM:

I'm glad I saw it again, although Rachel said she couldn't eat afterwards.    


» Post a Comment