and a sweet sound it made


MP3 The Decemberists - "Odalisque"
Just one track for today, partly because my .mac account is a little full & partly because I couldn't decide on a second song to post. However, this Decemberists track, off of 2002's Castaways & Cutouts, has been stuck in my head the last couple of days & I had to do something about it. "Odalisque" has all of the fanciful lyrical turns you come to expect from Colin Meloy, but it also seems to go all over the place - it feels epic. My lousy prose really doesn't do the song justice, so listen & make your own assessments. Leave a comment if you like - they are always appreciated.

mark your calendars

Some selected upcoming dvd releases:

8/24 The Girl Next Door (unrated)
8/31 Slacker - Criterion Collection
9/07 Law & Order: Criminal Intent - Season 3
9/14 The Ladykillers
9/21 The Wire - Season 1
9/21 Mr. Show - Season 4
9/28 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

This is a brief list of discs coming out that will most likely work their way into my vast dvd library. Okay, maybe not The Girl Next Door, which I never got around to seeing, but I can't help my crush on Elisha Cuthbert. BTW: I disagree with those calling for 24 producers to kill her off the show. I heart Kim Bauer, even when she's being chased by cougars (that's funny sh**). Slacker is an early indie flick by Richard Linklater, being done up Criterion style - always a good thing. Also on my checklist is the Coen Bros' latest w/some guy named Tom Hanks, as well as several quality tv shows, including the most recent season of the D'Onofrio L&O franchise (my fav), Bob & David's final season, and the amazing first season of what I consider to be the best show on tv, HBO's The Wire. However, I am most looking forward to ESOTSM, IMO the year's best film to date. Hopefully the home video department over @ Focus Features will put together some good extras (nothing much announced thus far). The above links direct you to my online store of choice DVD Planet, who offer 35% off of Criterions - always.
| yahoo! responds to the gmail threat »
| a scanner darkly update »
| when cameron was in egypt's land »
| what you talkin' bout, slava? »
| there is a fire in me, a fire that burns »
| daytime lovemaking, the naughty type »
| pull a rabbit from your top-hat »
| where you goin' little man? »
| fire that guy in the photo archives »

Blogger mr gilbert @ 6/17/2004 12:28:00 PM:

I saw Colin Meloy & Co a short while back here in Mpls, & in fact posted "The Tain" in its entirety the next day. They closed the main set w/"The Tain" at my show - such a great band.    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/17/2004 12:57:00 PM:

ladykillers has to be the most boring movie i have seen. it was painful for me to sit through that whole thing.
i don't know if you know this, but i work at the prod co that did eternal sunshine, and from what i hear, there are going to be lots of extras on the dvd...i'll let you know when i hear more-juhi    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 6/17/2004 01:26:00 PM:

Thanks for the info, Juhi! Keep us informed (I'm sure I'll mention the Eternal Sunshine dvd again). The Ladykillers was a good laugh for me, and being a Coens maniac I am obliged to pick up their latest disc.    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/17/2004 02:24:00 PM:

Odalisque is my favourite track on Castaways and Cutouts, closely followed by Here I Dreamt I Was An Architect. I was disappointed they played neither when they were here in Toronto. I missed half the set because of a little fiasco with I.D. but I someone taped it, so I heard what I missed that way.
They did play a number of my favourite songs from Her Majesty (Red Right Ankle!) so that made up for it. I'd love to see them play again. And The Tain was so awesome.    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/17/2004 02:34:00 PM:

Excellent song - was just listening to it last night and am going to see the Decemberists tonight. Hope I get some good surprises. Good blog you have going here by the way. M    


» Post a Comment