get ry cooder to sing my eulogy




This weekend I managed to get my hands on Canada's own The Tragically Hip's new album, In Between Evolution - which will be in stores tomorrow (6/29). The Hip are one of the biggest rock bands in Canada & have been for more than a decade, though they've never been able to crossover here in the U.S. I listened to them a lot while I was in college, and I discovered that their albums all get better & better the more you listen to them. I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the new disc that much yet, but I'm willing to bet it ages similarly as well. I spent much of Sunday nite importing my old Hip albums into iTunes, and I still like them quite a lot after not having listened to them for almost two years - when I saw them summer '02 touring in support of In Violet Light @ First Avenue, which had no air conditioning that nite (the hottest, sweatiest show I've ever been to, btw).

MP3 The Tragically Hip - "Grace, Too"
I was introduced to The Hip in 1994 through my brother Alan, around the time they made a valiant attempt to find an American audience w/their Day For Night LP. The less-sad-back-then Dan Aykroyd introduced them on SNL, and they substituted the opening lyrics of this song with: "she said I'm tragically hip..." This song is still often a set opener at The Hip's very solid live shows - frontman Gordon Downie really knows how to work a crowd.

MP3 The Tragically Hip - "Tiger The Lion"
From 2000's Music@Work, this song was kind of a departure for The Hip at the time. Initially I was turned off by it, but I came back to it after seeing them perform it at a free Canada Day show in Central Park NYC & now it's one of my favorite Hip tracks. Downie's odd lyrics about John Cage's views on art backed-up by The Hip's heavy instrumentation finally clicked for me somehow, & I'm certainly glad that it did.

BTW: If you're reading this Juhi, do you remember keeping me company at The Hip's fall 2000 show @ NYC's Town Hall? I remember having a good time, but I just hope you weren't too bored.

I may post some more Hip tracks as the week continues, as long as I'm still feeling that it's still a worthy enterprise. I hope y'all enjoy...



Today, I felt kinda like Nate (played by fellow native-minnesotan Peter Krause) towards the end of this past sunday nite's episode of Six Feet Under, minus all that widower-single-dad-sexaholic stuff. I can, however, empathize with his desire to MOV curl up in the fetal position (6.2mb) & forget about the rest of the world. Unfortunately, I think I end up feeling that way a bit too often. Anyway, enough depressing nonsense.

Hopefully tonite's !!! show @ the Triple Rock will help to brighten my spirits.

BTW: You may need the 3ivx video codec for that 6FU video.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

| fooled me once, shame on you »
| bush compares democrats to nazis »
| i got the moon, i got the cheese »
| i'll take the rapists for $400 »
| big pimpin, smokin' weed »
| drawing you into the club »
| too drunk to drink more? »
| and a sweet sound it made »
| stop shopping, stop buying things »

Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/29/2004 08:25:00 AM:

How was the big !!! show last night? I really wanted to go but it's too hard to get up and go to work after a Monday night show. I also wanted to thank you for posting a link to my little corner of the web...

Michael    


Blogger caley @ 6/29/2004 11:17:00 AM:

I never wanted to like The Hip out of sheer rebellion. I can't tell you how many times I took an elbow in the back of the head by someone running down the hallways at school yelling something along the lines of "Beeeeeeeeeeeeeer....The Hiiiiiiiip. Friday night. Hiiiiiiip." But, I eventually succumbed to a few songs. If you continue Hip week, and post "Bobcaygeon", then all will be right in my world.    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 6/29/2004 12:14:00 PM:

In understand that hesistant impluse WRT the Hip. They do have a beer-guzzling, hockey-obsessed section of their following that can turn people off, but I have never really let that bother me. Perhaps being in the states helps.    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/29/2004 06:01:00 PM:

Thanks for the Tragically Hip songs. How about Fifty Mission Cap? Definitely a "worthy enterprise."

There are some good Quebecois artists, too - Les Colocs, Les Freres au Ch'val, Jean Leloup, Mon'onc Serge...    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/29/2004 07:20:00 PM:

I am TRYING to see The Hip in concert on Canada Day, but for some reason Ticketmaster isn't selling lawn tickets online or by phone. RRRRRRR.    


Blogger chrisp @ 6/30/2004 12:23:00 AM:

You're right about how "being in the states" helps give you a better appreciation of "the Hip". The Beer guzzling contingent can be pretty hard to ignore for us Canuck music geeks. Nice overview of your fav. "Hiptunes" though.

Hope your urge to "curl up in the fetal position" has passed. I know here in Pegcity, summer weather has finally kicked in and has lightened my mood considerably.    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/30/2004 12:28:00 PM:

of course i remember jonny! you were throwing down at that show! even though i wasn't familiar with their music, i still had fun, just hanging out with you :) -juhi    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 6/30/2004 08:56:00 PM:

I was at that First Ave show without AC.
It was right up there with seeing Soul Coughing three nights in July.
With the change in management at First Ave, I hope they don't fuck it up too much.    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 6/30/2004 09:07:00 PM:

Agreed. I certainly hope 1st Ave manages to keep their act together as they sort all this management messiness out. It's such a great club.    


Blogger dfadf @ 10/16/2010 03:37:00 AM:

Microsoft Office
Office 2010
Microsoft Office 2010
Office 2010 key
Office 2010 download
Office 2010 Professional
Microsoft outlook
Outlook 2010
Windows 7
Microsoft outlook 2010    


» Post a Comment