a quick one while i'm away (part five)


[ETA: Not seen this week's Six Feet Under, but plan to? By request, spoiler warning...]

Just some quick hits today...



R.I.P. Nathaniel Fisher Jr.

Well, people are talking about last nite's Six Feet Under. Frankly, I kinda agree with EW's Michael Slezak - maybe it was time for Nate to go. MN native Peter Krause had always been able to get me on Nate's side until this season, which has found his character whiny, miserable & floundering even more than usual. I kept waiting for Nate to come around, to get himself together a little, find some redemption - but instead he slid further into his own self-torture. Ugh. Why did he & Brenda need to get married anyway? They were already acting like the bickering McBickersons beforehand. Anyway, I'll be curious to see how Six Feet Under concludes now that its main protagonist out of the picture. Lastly, I'm still wondering - what was more shocking last nite: Nate croaking or Claire dating a republican?



While on the subject of HBO, I've got to say that the new season of the overhyped-yet-strangely addictive Entourage has been even more Piven-rific than the last. I'd demand an Emmy for the man, if it weren't for the tragicly un-nominated Will Arnett, but I'll get into my Emmy rant another day.

Finally got around to seeing War of the Worlds yesterday, starring most powerful actress in Hollywood Dakota Fanning & some other guy. It was pretty damn impressive, and I walked out of the theater feeling good & knocked around. And I was impressed that, despite the semi-happy ending, the film didn't go all-out Spielberg cheesy like some of the director's recent movies. It was far, far better than last week's action extravaganza, the rather lousy cloning (and Schiavo-baiting) juggernaut The Island. Thank god it had a decent cast, otherwise that movie might have been completely unwatchable. Ewan was funny & great (as-per-usual), especially in the scenes he was playing against himself. Director Michael Bay didn't really give the lovely Scarlett anything to do besides look pretty (which she certainly did) & constantly yell, "RUN!" I'll tell ya, I've never seen characters tell each other to "RUN" so much - like it wasn't obvious that they should run. Duh.

My congrats to the folks over at Channel 101, who were featured in EW last week. My only beef was that The Lonely Island dudes weren't mentioned in the article. Speaking of TLI, check out the eight "episode" of their record-breaking Channel 101 hit The 'Bu. Doesn't that wreckage look familiar?

MPG The Lonely Island - The 'Bu #8
MP4 The Lonely Island - The 'Bu #8
MP3 The Lonely Island - "We Didn't Do The 'Bu"



So yeah, that DangerDoom album is seriously the hotness. The MF Doom/Dangermouse collaboration would have been sweet enough, but basing the whole disc on Adult Swim is f**king brilliant. I'm not the hip hop fan that, say JRDN might be, but I'm really digging this record. Marv & I were playing it at the jobby-job over the weekend & got a great response. Unfortunately, I had to tell everybody that The Mouse & The Mask wouldn't be out until October. I'm not posting any tracks, since plenty of other folks like lemon-red, Razorblade Runner & Fredblog are doing a fine job already.

MP3 Billy Ocean - "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car (extended)"
Oh yeah, I found this nine minute version of Billy Ocean's 1988 #1 hit at said jobby-job & thought I'd share it with y'all. The original version appears on the Tear Down These Walls LP. Doncha luv that 80's saxo-mo-phone?
| f**kity-f**k-f**k (because i luv you) »
| a quick one while i'm away (part four) »
| i guess that's how the future's done »
| american bombs away, dig in today »
| a quick one while i'm away (part three) »
| a quick one while i'm away (part one) »
| just a little patience, yyyeeeaaahhh »
| when i'm not around, how do you relate »
| you're livin' in a f**kin' fantasy, woah »

Anonymous Anonymous @ 8/01/2005 03:09:00 PM:

Hmm... a spoiler warning for those of us on the rss feeds would be appreciated next time.

Cheers    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 8/01/2005 03:27:00 PM:

my apologies to jason & all those who haven't seen last nite's six feet under. if i ruined it for you, feel free to curse me out.

i tend to just post away after a show has aired, since, ya know, it's already out there in the world. perhaps in the future, i'll try to be more sensitive to the needs of rss users. but i'm not making any guarantees...

cheers!    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 8/01/2005 11:50:00 PM:

ouch, second the spoiler warning. : (

i guess i'll still catch the rerun & catch up    


Blogger Kristi Joy @ 8/02/2005 07:40:00 AM:

holy crap, i haven't seen that show since about halfway through the second season.....but i always thought peter krause was hot and being a minnesotan always earns brownie points. I'm sad he died, but now I must go and rent all the back episodes to catch up on the story.    


Blogger Kristi Joy @ 8/02/2005 07:42:00 AM:

sorry for comment spam, but i just saw the cheapo link. I LOVE CHEAPO!    


Blogger "We will do and then we will obey" @ 8/02/2005 09:26:00 AM:

I've been bored w/ "6 feet under" for a while so I stopped watching. Once I found out Nate died, I had to catch the rerun last night and came to the same conclusion: I don't really care except that Peter Krause is from Minnesota. Am I being overly harsh?    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 8/02/2005 10:36:00 AM:

frankly, i don't really care much about the show either. the last two seasons (especially this one) have been touch to watch, but since i did (and it's summer), i might as well see how it ends. i am actually pretty curious to see the fallout from nate's death.

anyway, whoop dee doo.

no worries 'bout comment "spam" (unless it's actual comment spam, of course).    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 8/03/2005 06:10:00 PM:

This album is f’ing great! Check out all the dope news at Connect. Dope shit!    


» Post a Comment