we go out of the mainstream




MP3 Sam Champion - "Now Look At Me"
I can't help but draw Pavement comparisons when I talk or write about Brooklyn-based Sam Champion, whom I last wrote about back in July. "Now Look At Me" (from the band's 2003 EP) begins with some plugging-in guitar distortion, then launches into a very "Summer Babe"-ish dirty rock groove. Guitarist/vocalist Noah Chernin proclaims his indie-lovin' roots with the "we out of the mainstream & into the jungle" line, which is a also a great pop hook, of course. Noah isn't one to hide his affinity for all things pop.

MP3 Sam Champion - "TV Fever"
Also from that 2003 EP, "TV Fever" is a slower-paced, more calculated rock tune driven by thunderous beats of drummer (and future Tiger Beat heart-throb) Ryan Thornton. When I saw Sam Champion open for RANA on the Rocks Off boat cruise a couple months ago, they seriously rocked out on this song to end their set, with Chernin wailing away on his axe during the stretched-out closing section. Again, there's more "sounds-like" Slanted & Enchanted riffage here, but that's a good thing, folks.

bonus MP3 Sam Champion - "Sally"
In honor of my upcoming birthday, here's an extra Sam Champion track that I found hidden on their website (all these tracks are hosted by the band, so my thanks to them). I don't know a lot about "Sally," but I believe it's a more recent recording, as it sounds more like the material (that I've managed to hear thus far) from their forthcoming debut LP, Slow Rewind. It's a more upbeat number, mixing a poppy rock beat with a little alt-country twang that certainly leaves me smiling. Hello, weekend.

Sam Champion will be playing next Thursday (9/23) at Pianos in NYC with Burnside Project (see yesterday's Music (For Robots) post) for a Trampoline House magazine party. The following nite (9/24) finds the band playing a hometown show at Freddy's Backroom in Brooklyn w/The Zambonis (who only sing about hockey) & The Non-Hockeys (who don't). Interested NYC locals should stay also tuned on Sam Champion's website for details on their October CMJ show with fellow rockers These Bones.

and into the jungle, we go out (x 3)


So this Sunday marks the aforementioned 26th anniversary of my birth, which I'm not all that excited about, but oh well. I don't have any big plans for Sunday besides catching the third season premiere of the best damn show on television, HBO's The Wire. Saturday nite I will be heading out to the 400 Bar here in Mpls w/JRDN to catch what should be an excellent Fiery Furnaces/White Magic double bill. I've been trying to brush up on my Blueberry Boat over the course of this week, and I should probably give White Magic's Through The Sun Door EP a few more listens before the show tomorrow. It should be a good time, and I'm sure I'll do some celebratin'.

I'd like to extend a blanket "thank you" to all the kind-hearted folks out there who took the time to write some awfully nice & encouraging words following my pity-party Donnie Darko post from several weeks back. From time to time, I fall into my dark moods & on that occasion I used this blog as an outlet for talking my way through it (as is my right, dammit). I truly appreciate the support some of y'all out there offered in response, and I apologize for not getting back to each & every one of you in a timely fashion. I suppose I need to manage my time a little better (to say the least). Anyway, it really did mean a lot, & I always like good feedback.

Lastly, I'd like to give a shout out to Sean over at Said The Gramaphone, who sent a whole heap of traffic my way yesterday & will soon be taking a hiatus from his trendsetting blog to walk the earth, like Caine in Kung Fu ("walk from place to place, meet people, get in adventures"). While the site will continue in his absence, his eclectic musical selections & skillfull way with words will certainly be missed. I'd like to second Keith TTIKTDA's well wishes on all of Sean's future travels. Be safe, man.
| didya cover your tracks? yessir »
| really getting into the swing »
| everything's in place. it's on. »
| shakin' your new charm bracelet »
| take a long drive with me »
| guest blog from the windy city »
| california here we come »
| it's not quality, it's quantity »
| better propaganda x 20 »

Anonymous Anonymous @ 9/17/2004 02:27:00 PM:

happy early birthday man. keep on doin' what you're doin' with the blog -juhi    


Anonymous Anonymous @ 9/17/2004 03:43:00 PM:

sam champion will save us all!
itsmatt    


Blogger sean @ 9/17/2004 06:00:00 PM:

Thank-you so very much for those generous thoughts. I will hold them to my heart like shaolin juju, clearing the way for selfdiscovery, clear vision, and kick-ass kung-fu moves.

Seriously, I really appreciate it. Keep in touch.    


» Post a Comment