you come along on summer days


Howdy, folks. First off, let me apologize to anybody who was trying to get a hold of me this past weekend (and inevitably failed). Frankly, I wasn't in any condition to interact with, uh, people. Shut-in life is really dull, btw.

FYI: Early Saturday morning, Tuwa closed up his Shanty. Shed a tear, y'all.


MIB gets knocked out of Celebrity Poker Showdown (best photos I could track down).

I did get a big laugh on Saturday when I stumbled across a hilarious McSweeney's piece by comic Michael Ian Black about his candidacy to take over the Late Late Show (via Quo Vadimus). As a Kilborn fan, I am moderately curious to see who takes over his late nite spot. While my immediate preference amongst the final "candidates" would be MIB, I unfortunately missed him guest-hosting CBS' Late Late all last week. But after reading his McSweeney's article (you can also read his past writings for them), in which he laments his (albeit very amusing) "work" on VH1's I Love The [decade] with such great humor, he's got my vote (literally).

For more on MIB, you can check out a livejournal community devoted to him, the official website for his Stella comedy show, and interviews from this month's Blender, October 2003's issue of Stuff, or an August 2003 edition of Kittenpants (performed by the legendary Corn Mo). For some D-list nostalgic-yet-snarky commentary on the C-list nostalgic-yet-snarky I Love The [decade] series, here's a Yankee Pot Roast feature to peruse.



MP3 Interpol - "C'mere"
Earlier this year, was I pumped for the release of the new album from NYC's Interpol? You're damn right I was. Their much-lauded debut album Turn on the Bright Lights was both Pitchfork's & my (though in hindsight) top album of 2002, so I, like many, was certainly looking forward to their follow-up. Despite its September release date, the excellent sophomore effort Antics leaked mid-summer & was all I (happily) listened to for weeks.

Is "C'mere" the best song on Antics? Almost certainly not, IMO. "Evil" is probably the best all-around track, with "NARC" & "Not Even Jail" following closely behind. My favorite track is probably the epic-yet-somber "Take You on a Cruise" (I just can't help but scream out, "I AM A SCAVENGER!"), which went unplayed at the band's October show at 1st Ave ("C'mere" was also skipped). Still, I chose to include this track because it vividly reminds me of those few weeks during the summer when Interpol was dominating my iPod, as I drove around Mpls with the windows down & the sunroof open, blasting this powerful & rather upbeat (for Interpol) song at a high (yet reasonable) volume, all with a giant smile on my face. Good times.

Track 01: The Arcade Fire - "Wake Up"
Track 02: Frou Frou - "Let Go"
Track 03: The Walkmen - "The Rat"

ETA: Fluxblog & TTIKDTA both have tracks from The Fiery Furnaces' next release, an singles/odds & ends collection simply entitled EP, which will be out January 11 on Rough Trade. These are some solid tracks, so go get 'em while they're hot. EP is really really good, and Matt Fluxblog's analysis is dead-on, btw. More on this eventually...

| there's beauty in the breakdown »
| i guess we'll just have to adjust »
| steve, we think you got crazy-eye »
| a turkey-lurkey-do »
| another morning stoner »
| nyc's walkmen visit the left coast »
| [ilb]'s top 40 bands in america »
| just a quickie (on a monday morn) »
| your parents will hate it »

» Post a Comment