in the rhythm of this song...


My apologies for taking all day to get this post up. This is my twelfth straight day of updating the site, which is way more often than my usual frequency. So I'm a little tuckered out, I suppose. I likely will take the weekend off & be back next week to finish off The Big Ticket's Mix '04 (cover art & all).

BTW: I did some long-overdue updating on the blogroll/sidebar, removing a few links & adding some worthy new ones. Give 'em a looksee, if you like.



MP3 Apostle of Hustle - "Energy of Death"
Folkloric Feel, the debut album from Broken Social Scene guitarist Andrew Whiteman's new band Apostle of Hustle, has been one of my very favorite discs of this past year, though it has also gone woefully underappreciated IMO. I'm still a bit stunned that it has yet to receive a Pitchfork review, though Stylus & PopMatters managed to get around to it (as did Dusted, Splendid & JamBase). I raved about Folkloric Feel & posted tracks from it in both September (after its late August release) & October, and bars & guitars chimed in with this track in November, but the buzz just failed to catch on.

Sean from said the gramophone praised Folkloric Feel producer Dave Newfield, who also produced Broken Social Scene's You Forgot It In People, for his contributions to the album. Newfield is producing the next BSS record, due to come out in spring 2005. Exclaim! recently did an article on Newfield, and Pique Newsmagazine interviewed him about the film score he worked on with the band. I also stumbled across a 2001 interview he did with Wavelength Toronto in which he wishes he could have produced Smile, ironic now that Brian Wilson actually managed to re-record the whole thing.

For lack of creativity, here's what I orignally said about "Energy of Death":
"in the rhythm of this song
we drink, we fu** & we fight, we bring it on"

Now that's a kick ass opening line for a song. "Energy of Death" is probably the most upbeat number on Folkloric Feel, and not suprisingly it has several BSS members chipping in (notice Cranley's trombone work somewhere in the dense pop bliss). The lyrics may get a tad bit preachy at times ("the children of the dying earth, our possessions & our money have no worth"), but I'm too busy rocking out to get jaded & really care. This is the album's fourth track, and by the time I finished it, I was sold on the rest.

If you're too lazy to hunt down Folkloric Feel at your local record store, or buy it online from Amazon or directly from Arts & Crafts, you can also purchase & download it via the iTunes music store. Ain't technology dandy?



Track 01: The Arcade Fire - "Wake Up"
Track 02: Frou Frou - "Let Go"
Track 03: The Walkmen - "The Rat"
Track 04: Interpol - "C'mere"
Track 05: Franz Ferdinand - "Jacqueline"
Track 06: The Killers - "Somebody Told Me"
Track 07: Junior Boys - "Bellona"
Track 08: Kings of Convenience - "I'd Rather Dance With You"
Track 09: The Go! Team - "Bottle Rocket"
Track 10: Belle & Sebastian - "Your Cover's Blown"
Track 11: TV on the Radio - "The Wrong Way"
Track 12: Metric - "Succexy"
Track 13: The Fiery Furnaces - "Tropical Iceland" (single version)

MP3 Feist - "Let It Die"
To my surprise, this Leslie Feist song (from the album of the same name) was featured on last week's episode of The O.C. (kudos to Bolt for the advance heads-up). You remember, Seth & Summer were slow dancing to it. Anyway, I've been listening to Let It Die this week, and seeing as Feist is yet another member of the Broken Social Scene posse, I figured this was an appropriate inclusion. I also felt bad that I wasn't able include her wonderful "Mushaboom" on Mix '04 - I only had room for two BSS side projects.

ETA: I just noticed that this Feist track is also up over at chromewaves, as part of his top albums of 2004 list. Frank is wise - read, listen & learn.
| nothing could beat complete denial »
| patience, understanding, agape babe »
| the deejay is picking up speed »
| let's rock this break-break-break »
| so let your hips do the talking »
| i love her like a champ, till he's back »
| all this time i stayed for you »
| ready let's roll onto something new »
| i'll always dial the "k" for you »

» Post a Comment