you rock, rock




The official website for the film I ♥ Huckabees, which opens in select cities on October 1, is now open. It's full of flash & is kinda fun to play around with. The first time you visit the site, writer/director welcomes you to the website. If you go back a second time, Russell & actor Jason Schwartzman pop up & say in an odd, monotone way, "You're back." It's a little creepy. I am really looking forward to this movie.

On the music front today, I am lacking for both inspiration & theme, so I'm just going to offer up some of what I've been listening to lately & hope I can come up with something more interesting over the weekend.

MP3 Sahara Hotnights - "Who Do You Dance For?"
Yes, I posted another Sahara Hotnights song back in early August, but their latest album Kiss & Tell has actually managed to stay in my cd rotation since that time. While perhaps I should be spending more of my time listening to stuff that I've bought more recently, I keep coming back to these Swedish girls & their early 80's pop-rock hooks. I posted the album's closing track last time, so here's the album opener to start off the weekend.

MP3 The Black Keys - "Grown So Ugly"
Despite a general lack of energy/enthusiasm on my part, I managed to drag my sorry butt out to First Avenue on Tuesday nite to see Akron, OH's favorite blues-rock duo, The Black Keys. My buddy Marc had gone apesh** over these guys after seeing them play in Chicago earlier this year, so I would be remiss if I missed my own opportunity to catch their live show. I'm not much of a big blues fan myself, but I have to say that guitarist Dan Auerbach & drummer Patrick Carney were mighty impressive. This track, from the band's new Rubber Factory LP, is a "tragic prison blues penned by Robert Pete Williams and covered in the 1970s by Captain Beefheart" according to the knowledgeable folks over at Pitchfork. Thanks for the info.


Dude, that goofy drummer is wearing a fake moustache - just like Bobby V did!
| girls with low self-esteem »
| minnesota - we like it here! »
| we go out of the mainstream »
| came here to rock the microphone »
| didya cover your tracks? yessir »
| really getting into the swing »
| everything's in place. it's on. »
| shakin' your new charm bracelet »
| take a long drive with me »

Blogger "We will do and then we will obey" @ 9/24/2004 09:49:00 AM:

I'm glad you ended up going to see The Black Keys. I wish I could go tonight but that whole DOA thing is getting in the way.    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 9/24/2004 10:20:00 AM:

I figured you were going to Kid Nidre w/your gal. What the heck is "DOA"?    


Blogger steve @ 9/25/2004 01:10:00 AM:

Huckabees is good. Even the David Russell (who also did Three Kings admits it is not for everyone, but hopefully enough people will find it to allow him to make another movie with the same characters.

The score is done by Jon Brion who has worked with Aimee Mann and done the scores for Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love (which convinced Russell to work with him).    


Blogger mr gilbert @ 9/25/2004 03:58:00 PM:

Repentance...fooey. I'm probably screwed anyway. Tikeyah! (sp?)    


» Post a Comment